Monday, December 17, 2012

Chapter 5: Almost half way there. Time to get S.M.A.R.T.

Chapter 5:

A fellow friend asked my husband, "What does your wife do? I can't tell." Randy said, "It depends but mainly running." His friend's question made me laugh and start to ponder what is it that I do?  I love fitness so much that I find it hard to pigeon hole myself to just 1 thing!  Look I have no desire to be a pro at any one thing. The sea is large out there and I just want to be personally great at whatever it is that I do.  I guess that is what led me to my fascination with CrossFit.  In CrossFit you train so that you can lift heavy, run far, run fast,  have agility, no matter what the challenge is you are able to do it respectfully. That is quite a goal to have.  So, how do I make it a S.M.A.R.T. Goal?

 Staci Boyer writes about S.M.A.R.T. goals in her book "Motiv8Nu."

Specific: I train to have a strong enough heart to run a respectful half marathon time. I train for speed to keep a 7:10 5 K pace. I train to be able to do 5 pull ups and a solid 20 push ups.  I train to keep lean muscle mass. This is when I feel at my best and the most motivated to train.

If the workout helps me in any one of those specific areas I am game.  So for a stint I might be boxing, then off for a stint of bikrim yoga, or CrossFit (I have a heart for oly lifting) all keeping it to my specific objective.

This allows me to stay in shape and to carry muscle, but not to much to where a half marathon would be over challenging.

I think it is important to know that I take things to an extreme.  Listening to my body is usually the key for when it is time to switch and move onto my next S.M.A.R.T. Goal.

Measurable:
For distance I train 3 days with a plan that allows for 90 minutes of cardio in at 150-154 bpm
For speed I train 3 days with Tabata
For strength I work my lifting routine 5 days a week
To keep lean I add intervals through CrossFit WOD's 3 days a week

Attainable: I can't train for all of these areas all of the time.  Depending on which season I am in depends on which one I am specific about and measuring.  To make it attainable I set the days per week and the amount of weeks I will devote to my S.M.A.R.T. Goal.

Time Bound: I do races for distance and speed. Spring (April-May). Summer beginning (June). Fall (September) At the end of each month I assess push ups and pull ups. A tape measure is the best for me with lean muscle mass at the start and end of  a workout program. The scale just frustrates me.

As you follow me through my journaling you can see what phase I am in and what my thoughts are.  Having taken the time to journal my S.M.A.R.T. Goal it helps me to decide what "stint," I should shift my focus to.

For clarification I am in my strength S.M.A.R.T. Goal and I have set my time for these past 4 weeks, I will be reevaluating after Christmas.  If you have followed my blog since late November you would have read through each weight lifting routine for each body part.  If not, glance through the previous posts to see where I have been for the past 4 weeks with my weight lifting program to build lean muscle.

My last body part to write about it my leg routine, because it isn't one that you traditionally read.

Leg Workout
I tend to have larger legs, so I train this muscle group in my own unique way.  I train my quads with less emphasis and focus more on my hamstrings.  Plus with running it needs to be a strong effective muscle group. This is my plan, make your assessment and see what kind of routine you would do.

Hamstrings All done with sets of 4 tradition style heavy weights 12 reps at the most with a few sprinkled in drop sets.  Consistent with the exercises, but changing which one for drop sets yields good results.

1) Laying Leg Curl
2 ) Single Leg Curl
3) Stiff Legged Deadlift (By far the best for development)

Quads 6 Sets, 4 sets reps of 15 increasing the weight after each set.  Last 2 are drop sets with a hold at the top.

1) Leg Extensions

I get squats in with whole body movements through out the week.

The whole let's do 20 reps of light weight is not my style.

What is your style???
Kima

No comments:

Post a Comment