Sunday, May 6, 2012

Reflections...


My blog posts are usually inspired by my conversations that I have with other people.  I wonder how often in a day people are really present in their conversations or if they take time to reflect on the interactions they have had in a day.  Or are we all so busy that out of sight, out of mind takes place.  In my happy world everyone takes at least a little time to reflect. 
I think reflecting is one of those elements that is not talked about a lot in the working out sense.  I forgot how much I do, because I have spent so much time reflecting on my running that I do not even realize that I am doing it.  My new reflections have been on my CrossFit journey.  I have been at CrossFit Amplify for going on  6 weeks now.  I have been focusing on olympic lifts.  This is completely out of my comfort zone as was my first Zumba class.  I say that because you are to be explosive and you can drop the weight.  Eek, completely the opposite of my first love, which was body building. That requires slow methodical technique and you are not to drop the weight. Especially when Randy is training you, a bit of an inside joke amongst our crew.  
I appreciate my husband videoing and editing  my CrossFit classes.  I wish I would have done that with my running form 5 years ago.  I get a chance to self -reflect and analyze what I need to focus on.  I do have some commentary on the recent video my husband made, before posting it.  I could have kept this a private video, but at times it is best to laugh at yourself.  
First of all, I really needed to work on my set up.  I was not understanding the power triangle at all.  Then it clicked with me after watching the video what I needed to adjust.  I have been practicing this and watching video on it almost daily.  I think it paid off in the last class I finally felt my hamstrings! By the way this is the same move from my first entry about CrossFit, so I have jumped up in my amount that I lift.  
Completely not workout related but I do not wear make up or fancy clothes to train in.  So you can see in the video how I look at 7:30 at night after a long day, trying to get the bar up. I really like the facial expression he replays when I drop the bar for the first time.  No not really, but I did laugh! 
In our workout videos we do use 7th Heaven if you hadn’t noticed. Our summer date nights usually includes an outdoor show of this band.  I think we really get a kick out of seeing them perform, because they have such energy.  Check out their website under my “Fun Websites” column. 
So my commentary just shows that it does help to video, who cares what you look like at least you are not being lazy, and awesome music really sets the mood for a fantastic workout! 
To wrap things up, as much as I reflect about my workouts, I do in my personal life too.  I think that each person we meet, we meet for a reason.  Might not be for a huge life changing reason, but every reason has some meaning to it.  So, stop and think about your workouts and the people you meet and you might just see some more happiness by doing this.  

9 comments:

  1. I think reflecting on my workout is also very helpful It helps me learn what I need to improve on and what i am doing good. Sometimes when I am writing my reflections for our assignments for class I look back and think I need to plan out my workouts better and my meals better because either I did too much of one thing and not much of the other or my meal plan was really good I need to plan something similar again etc. The more I workout the more i've become a health freak and a workout geek. I've been able to push myself more and feel so much better about myself. I have also been able to inspire other people like my parents, especially my mom and friends as well. I would like to continue this as I grow older and hope that I become as successful with my body as you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this blog because reflecting on your workouts is an important thing. Sometimes when people start working out and start trying to lose weight there frustrated because the time theyve spent working out and results dont add up theyre dicouraged to keep goin. But when you look back to when you werent working out or making an effort to, youre proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great read. I agree that you have to reflect on your workouts in order to get better. I think that in life, you always have to reflect in everything you do so that you can be the person you want to be. This also inspires me to take a closer look at my workout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Mr. Spaulding has had us writing reflections on our workouts this year, and I actually get better when I do this. Even the times I don't do it, I notice the change in my workouts as well as my life and how it makes me feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more that reflections are very important! I understand where you're coming from that changing your routine might be difficult when doing something you're accustomed to avoiding. Still, it's a good way to switch things up! Hopefully you enjoy your CrossFit Journey. We'd love to hear updates later. Thank you for reminding us that reflecting is a vital part of our days. :)

    -Leea D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see how strong both you and Mr.Spaulding feel about reflections and how they really are useful and important when trying to see results. Mr.Spaulding is the first fitness who I have seen actually go out of the ordinary and that wants us to be thinking about fitness outside of school and the 50 minutes we are in his class, he introduced us to writing these reflections every two weeks on our latest workouts. Yet, he did not only want us to focus on what the workout consisted of, but also how we felt before and after doing it. Reflecting on this helps us determine what we can do do change the work out to make us feel better after completing it.
    Oh and i totally agree with you with your last paragraph :) I've always thought "everything happens for a reason".
    -Mireya Guzman Pd.8

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that doing workout reflections for wellness is a great help because it makes me keep track of the healthy choices and different workouts ive done over the week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Workout reflections are very helpful. Reflections help you keep on track and tells you what workout you have completed and conquered. It helped me know what i have done and what i could do differently next time.

    STaylor

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the big emphasis that you put on reflecting on your workouts. Reflection is a huge part of anything we do because its how we learn what we need to work and improve on and even what we should be praising ourselves on. A lot of my refelctions are done unknowingly except when writing work out reflections for Mr. Spaulding's class. I actually appreciate being pushed to reflect on atleast one of our work out routines each week because it also pushes me to want to do better with my fitness.
    -Kristin Banks, 2nd period, Senior =)

    ReplyDelete