Saturday, May 19, 2012

A love story....


         I am sure that you can browse the Internet and get a million results for websites that will offer workout plans, nutrition plans, running plans, you can find a plan for anything! That is fantastic, but this thought won't get out of mind.... We do not need anymore "how to's" what we need is the desire to love!  That desire to love moving and in the way in which our body desires to move.  That desire to love and to define love is unique to each person.  Think of it as a love story... Who knew fitness would be a topic of romance.
        My mother always said you can't go looking for love, it will just happen. I thought my mother was absurd with that advice in my young adult life...Well here I am almost about to celebrate my 10th year anniversary with my husband. Wouldn't you know when I wasn't looking here comes Mr. Right and that was 13 years ago! Well that is the same for working out! You will just find that one workout or combination of workouts that makes your stomach flutter and you can't stop thinking about it and wanting to be around.  Just like falling in love. 
       Sure, you will come across some bad break ups along the way, but through each one you learn more about yourself. I tried to date "group fitness classes.". They seemed appealing, but on the inside when I finished those classes I just did not feel complete.  Something was missing.  Kind of like that guy you dated where it is “ok,” but you know it could be better.  You deserve better, why settle?  I did learn from this experience that I loved cardio. After some time, my next date was with running. I gave myself some time before rushing into the next relationship, I became friends with running first. I was a little apprehensive, because of all the “bad” things I have heard about running. People do like to give advice or their thoughts once you tell them you are in a “new” relationship.  I wanted to keep my mind open and I out weighed the risks of all the injuries and the boringness that people speak of.  Sometimes people can have that opinion of marriage.  That it is really boring to make a commitment . But than there are those couples like by grandparents who were married for over 70 years.  They made it through thick and thin and make you believe in love. I was headed down the road with running and I was finding such joy without any expectations of where it might lead.  I was comfortable of taking the leap of faith.  Reminisce of what one does when they allow themselves to fall in love.  I found myself always thinking about running and my body soon began to desire the way it felt on those long runs.  To start out with 2 miles were long, then as time went on it changed to 6, and then eventually 26.20 miles (repeated 3 times). I wasn't looking for a relationship with running, it just happened. Leading me back to my mother was right.  
        I really do believe that you have to desire to fall in love with your kind of exercise, because there will be obstacles that try to get in your way.  When I mean fall in love I mean unconditionally love. As you do with your significant other. The daily schedules, the unhealthy desserts at parties, the stress in our every day lives, and  lack of time to name just a few will all try to take your love away from moving, from exercising. Unconditionally, you have to make a commitment to yourself and to that relationship.  Bumps will happen in relationships, just as some injuries will happen from the exercise you so love! You are committed and you take the good with the bad.  That is “tru” unconditional love. 
       Lastly, if it doesn't make you happy or a better person why do it?  Why stay in that temporary relationship when it does not allow you to be the best you can be? As hard as it is to walk away, because it is habit or easy. You need to in order to become who were meant to be! Working out, moving your body should fill you with happiness.  Equate that to the people in your in your life, you should feel happiness when you share their company.  
      Some may think that this is an absurd analogy and some may think falling in love or getting married is absurd.  One day you will understand and if you don't than it wasn't meant to be.... 

2 comments:

  1. Terah,
    That means a lot that you took the time to read this. I know that your days are filled and then you even left me a comment. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete