Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Yoga Band Wagon



Carla Tantillo at Mind Practices Book Launch Party with Dr. Susan Kurland
Dr. Kurland is the FIRST Chicago Public School principal
 to have a salad bar at her school. 
I gotta be honest I am someone who is on the go and I like to sweat when I move.   So, when yoga reared it’s head in Physical Education I was not jumping on the band wagon. Well, never say never...because here I am 5 years later and I am a HUGE advocator of Yoga movements in my classes.  Please let me define that I write Yoga movements, because when you really look into Yoga there is soo much more than just the move, but a whole culture of Yoga.  I do not get that in- depth with this part since I am teaching young children in a school setting.  What I do get into is the realization of how one feels after par-taking in Yoga movements with calming music.  With what our youth faces today as challenges be it stress, inactivity, too much electronics, unhealthy food options, and crazy schedules Yoga can provide them with positive benefits.  Why not join in???
If you do not believe me or want to know more look at this website http://www.mindfulpracticesyoga.com You will see someone who is out there impacting our educational system and society in such a healthy way through Yoga. The link to the “Teacher’s Forum,” was full of excellent articles and even had a spot where I could submit a question.  It amazes me how one’s creativity and dedication can grow an organization like Mindful Practices. 
Yoga for everyone... 

My suggestion would be to look under the “Store,” link to view more information about the yoga pose cards.  I have been utilizing the cards in my classes for teaching materials.  The options are endless with these.  The unique part of the card that I have not seen on other cards is at the top left hand corner.  It categorizes the mood of the yoga pose.  This gets back to what concepts I expose my students to.  I can have the students create an individual yoga routine based on mood with these cards.  This resource from Mindful Practices attracted a lot of attention at my presentation for DuPage County this past March.  
I even find myself wanting and fitting in time to just decompress through Yoga.  It has been a stress- reliever and it feels so good on the body.  If you find yourself in the same spot or you are a huge advocate for Yoga already, please leave me a comment....

No comments:

Post a Comment