Sunday, November 6, 2011

Over Coming Obstacles


I am at this stage right now, where I really have to be strong mentally. My workouts are going ok, but not fantastic for me. I have a lot on my plate that is not finished and our schedule is busy. Yes, that probably seems like everyone this day in age. So, how do I over this stage???


First, of all I am trying the new Turbo Fire program. I am being smart and following the plan for the order of the dvd's. I am a control freak so I still have to fit in my own lifting and a long steady session of cardio. I really enjoy the Turbo Fire. I find Chalene's motivation extremely inspiring. The combos of moves are at times hard to follow but I am catching on. It was my second HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workout and I felt better and I found my heart rate in the 160's, which brought a smile to my face. The only problem is that I keep waking up the little ones. After 3 days of this, I am strongly considering going out to my garage and working out. I don't want to stop, but this is decreasing their sleep, which they need. Not to mention I need my "me" time. Obstacles yes, but I have not given in.


I would love to workout for hours and go to the gym when ever I felt like it. That is what I really what I did in my younger days. Now, reality has set in and I will take whatever I can get. When I know my time is short I up the intensity. My energy has been low and I am fighting this awful lung/cough thing. Where I used to have the "aha" workouts almost every time, I only get a couple a week. Keeping up with the little ones takes a lot out of you, but you realize that they are your priority.


When I feel like I am in this "rut" I look up and just say " I know I can handle it."

I am focusing on my nutrition and trying to sleep more. I know that when I have my shake, Greek yogurt, and sweet potatoes my body is getting the right kind of fuel. I am getting my weekly chiropractic adjustments and using my rice sock my mother in-law made me. I will go into more detail about the rice sock in another blog post.


I am not writing this to complain. I am simply sharing with you that we all face obstacles and we all have our down day or days. It just matters if your are making positive choices and surrounding yourself with good people. I have to remain thankful because I know this "rut" is only temporary. I appreciate you taking time to read this and maybe it allowed for some self- reflection.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mrs. Spaulding,

    I can totally relate with you on having a lot on your plate and there just not being enough time. There is just not enough time to balance school life, applying to colleges, and time to myself. I enjoy reading your blog posts every other week and really wanted to comment on the Exercise A.D.D. post two weeks ago could not because I didn’t have any of the profiles listed. What I have learned is that the time you have, you have to take advantage of (especially the leisure time throughout life). What you said in the fourth paragraph really made me draw a connection with what we are both sort of going through. I have started to feel like a "rut" at school where I have isolated myself from those so called "friends" at school including some teachers due to the challenges I feel I am currently facing, but I always give everything my all and smile. Even when it hurts, I smile because I know that I look so much better when I smile and am able to make others smile. I love how you brought up the word 'nutrition' seeing how I plan on majoring in Food Science and Human Nutrition. I actually conducted research on childhood obesity and obesity in general during the summer looking at the environmental factors and etc. I love sweet potatoes, especially steaming them. I found an article where recent studies show excellent preservation of sweet potato anthocyanins with steaming, and several studies comparing boiling to roasting have shown better blood sugar effects (including the achievement of a lower glycemic index, or GI value) with boiling. The impact of steaming is particularly interesting, since only two minutes of steaming have been show to deactivate peroxidase enzymes that might otherwise be able to break down anthocyanins found in the sweet potato. Eating sweet potatoes gives a great amount of nutritents such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Manganese which is why I am looking forward to Thanksgiving in less than two weeks (yes, I am a huge food addict and critic). Steamed potatoes taste a bit better to me and give me bit more energy. I look forward to learning more about the rice sock as well!

    Keep the faith! :)
    NLTIV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know, yes keep smiling! I have found when I put my time into my "real" friends and people who support my dreams and goals, good things happen for everyone.

    I had not thought of steaming sweet potatoes before your post. I am now a huge fan of steaming sweet potatoes and so is Mr. Spaulding. Please share some more about your pursuit to major in Food Science and Human Nutrition.

    ReplyDelete