Thursday, August 14, 2014

Life as a mother during contest prep....

       I started this journey on summer break.  I am blessed to have the balance of being a working mom and a stay at home mom in the summer. I am blessed , but I had to work hard to get to that place.  In my early twenties I worked full time and went to college.  There were many nights where I'd live on less than 4 hours of sleep. It was well worth it, because my dream at the time was to graduate from college.  During that time I did compete in the NPC in fitness and after college I did my round in bodybuilding. I took a loooong break to finish grad school and to start a family.  Which brings me back to my point of do you ever wrestle with the "mom guilt?"  Yes, that feeling of not doing enough, not doing it perfect, or not doing things like that mom over there. Well we can live like that or we change it. This is a constant battle.

Let me tell you my day yesterday.
Morning:
 4:30 did my  cardio session
8:00 packed our kids up for Vacation Bible School

8-11 volunteered at Vacation Bible School (I'm not perfect for sure, prayed for God to use me the right way with my group of little ones)

 Afternoon:
12 Took our kids out for a soft pretzel, which is a huge treat to them.  You know though they had to eat their Boar's head lunch meat first.

1:00 Doctor's appointment to find out my blood type and white blood cell count, because it has been on the lower side for the past couple of years. I did my blood type because my coach asked me what it was to help configure my nutrition.

2-430 Park where our kids played lots!

Evening:
Home for a home cooked dinner. It really is a whole family thing to live healthy and to allow a few treats or ordering out in moderation.

5:45 Gymnastics for our daughter

7:00 Hit a double workout session of lifting at the gym

8:30 Grocery store to get more sweet potatoes

10:00 emailed my coach about my schedule and did a check in

This IS NOT to brag about how wonderful I am, but to show you that life still happens even when you are on a journey like this. Am I nervous about handling it all?  Of course!!! Tomorrow I'll share a post about how to ease that. Come back, please and check it out.

Anyhow, at the gym I am sure someone was judging me for brining my kids to the play area.  But let me tell you it's like Chucky Cheese to them.  I went for an hour, didn't talk, didn't socialize...just lifted. The whole time though you wrestle those thoughts of being a better mom.  Look people have their releases to get centered. I've heard people say crafts, knitting, pinning on Pinterest, hanging with the girls, games, and even drinking. I always have had it where I need to move and sweat.  It just rejuvenates me.  So, if I feel rejuvenated after working out that makes me better for my family. I go to get them at 8 and another mom and I are standing there waiting for our kids.  We look at each other and laugh, because we hustle to get them and find ourselves waiting.  They are having so much fun they don't want to leave.  The woman and I have a discussion about the whole "mother guilt," and I think we both made each other feel better to know that we are not the only ones.  As ironic as it is our two daughters had been playing together.  The girls asked to come back again and play. Hence, the feeling of guilt was lessened. Just another little gift from above.

Lasting tidbits....
What do you do to get re-centered?
Do you have a goal that you are reaching for?


Pray, train, eat, sleep
Kima



No comments:

Post a Comment