Saturday, December 1, 2012

Visual Motivation...quite a buzz word #visualmotivation

        I need to back track from my last entry. I wrote about reading Oxygen Magazine.  This got me to thinking.  No matter which kind of health, beauty, or fitness magazine you are into I hope you keep it into perspective.  I enjoy reading Oxygen to keep up on the latest lifting trends and to get some new ideas with cooking.  This is more of my winter and  early spring reading material during treadmill sessions.  Come the outdoor running season I give more of my attention to Runner's World. In between that I prefer to make time for my self- help books.  That is all year round. Everyone needs a little work at getting better, right?

          Back to the point I was making.  As I read through the magazine I see pages upon pages of women with abs, delts, and rockin' physiques. Well, to me they are rockin' . I aspire to be more like that than the traditional runway models.  To each their own, some find muscle unappealing on females.  You can't appease everyone.

             The truth behind those photos, besides photoshop is that to maintain that leanness and especially competition readiness has it's prices.  I find myself contemplating getting that lean again.  I believe that I could stay 5 pounds within the stage weight.

              Then wouldn't you know it, the Women's Physique Competitors page posts on Facebook the question "How many of you stay within 7- 10 pounds of your competition weight?"  The comments were shocking to me. Hardly, any said yes.   A lot said they tried but their bodies thought otherwise. To carry that much muscle and to be lean like that all year round is unrealistic.

              I feel that it is important to share, because some might need to be informed on why we really have 2 weights.  Those are "in season," and "off season." 10 pounds can be hard to deal with, mentally.  Especially, after you see everything go away after being so defined.  You have to focus on your strength and getting better in the areas of your physique that were critiqued by the judges.

               Running also relates to an ideal "race weight." This topic was well written by Matt Fitzgerald in his book titled "Racing Weight." The book also covers the topic of managing off season weight gain for runners.

               Both sports and the media have their own take on weight and what is ideal for the person's end goal.  Speaking from my stand point you have to be careful on how much emphasis you put onto the outer appearance.  Training and competing allow for a deeper meaning if you look from the inside out.

                My point is I know a lot of females & males who work hard everyday that I don't see in the magazines or on the stage.  I respect them and look up to them for the dedication and daily discipline they show.  Actions speak louder than words.

                So, my hope for you is if you check out Oxygen, Pinterest, or Instagram you realize that the pics are good for motivation, but when you set your sights on something more meaningful by asking yourself these questions:
Are you becoming consistent with your training?
Are you reading labels with more knowledge?
Does your training make your soul better?

If "yes," keep at it and focus on the internal changes and the outside will follow.

There is your visual motivation!
Kima

No comments:

Post a Comment