Sunday, November 4, 2012

Get out! Labeled resistance bands!!


            It's getting cold and it's getting dark.  Wow, that sounds so exciting to wake up to. This morning it actually was.  I have been having fun changing things up and just as fate would have it, Randy came home with a new bag of what we call "toys."  We call them toys because toys bring excitement and creativity into your life, just like toys do to children.  

           The Versaflexx bag was misleading for what was inside of it.  The bag felt heavy but small in size, so I could gather it was portable.  Nice, for travel.  I had to check out their website to see what was in store for us.  Unbelievable!  It seems like everyone nowadays has a website, but the content can be lacking.  NOT in this case.  I found all the exercises and a log I could use to get me on my way.  

Click here to explore Versaflexx

My goal, yes judge me now...I want to keep lean this fall and into the winter.  I like having this goal because it takes a lot of dedication and discipline. My workouts focus more on muscle groups and my strength training.  In addition nutrition tightens up even more.  The important benefit of this goal is it gives my body a break from the pounding of running. When spring comes I can be in shape to run & to run fast. 

After looking on the Versaflexx website I created my first arms workout. I selected arms, because I love the squeeze you get from training with bands. So, different than a set of dumbbells or a barbell.  

Note:  The anchor point is the height level where the band attaches from the support system.

Day1:
Here is what I did in a superset model (do 2 opposing muscle groups back to back then rest) 
From the LOW anchor point: 
Arm Curls (18 lbs-red) & Overhead Tricep Extension (9lbs-grey)

From the HIGH anchor point: 
Arm Curls (12 lbs- green) & Tricep Push Down (12 lbs- green) 

Ended with traditional sets and reps 

From the HIGH anchor point:
3 sets of 1 arm perpendicular single curl (9 lbs-grey) 

Rest 

From the LOW anchor point 
3 sets of 1 arm overhead extension (5 lbs- yellow) 

Abs: 
Ab Crunches (5 lbs- yellow) 
Reverse Crunches (5 lbs- yellow)
Reverse Oblique Crunches (5lbs- yellow) 

These were the first set of bands I have ever used that were actually labeled in pounds.  This helped me gauge where I should be at for each exercise, without having to guess.

I couldn't help but to try the laying leg curl for a few light sets.  This felt phenomenal, because of the connection to the muscle being targeted with using the Versaflexx. I honestly have never done a hamstring curl with a resistance band before. I forgot how much I enjoyed feeling the connection to the muscle through resistance band training with my arms. I am eager to have my next workout with the Versaflexx.  I am going to focus on my abs tomorrow with a few sets of glute kickbacks (kneeling hip flexion). With spinning more, I like to work on the glutes and hamstrings, especially from a female perspective of a training schedule. 

Nutrition Goal: When you change your goal, you need to look at your nutrition.  

Increase my uptake of protein, because I want to increase lean muscle mass. 

At the same time I am logging my carb intake.  I stick to sweet potatoes, oatmeal, and steel cut oats for my main sources of complex carbs.  

I do not allow myself as many nights with what I call "crunchie munchies," because of my cut back in logging high mileage with running.  Then I could afford those "crunchie munchies,' because of the high calorie expenditure through lots and lots of miles. 

“Lose It!”  is still my app I use for my food log.  I wonder how did I ever do it with technology?!? 

Follow me on my 12- week journey with Versaflexx. The site recommends training 5 days a week, so I will be designing my sessions based on a 3 upper, 1, lower, & 1 just ab/core day.  I prefer to train  core and abs a lot in the colder months, because of the running benefits. I will do that 5 days, because of the numerous exercises that can be done with the Versaflexx!

Go get your lift on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment