Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Shake???


Look up GMP Quality Assured 


     All nutrition information and workout information should be taken with a grain of salt.  You know your goals, allergies, activity levels, and body composition.  All of these play into factor when dealing with your own nutritional needs.  I never know who exactly my audience is, so when I write it is to share. It is not to be taken as nutritional advice for the masses. I enjoy trying things out then evaluating if it worked for me.  Just because someone says it works doesn't mean it will work for you. Therefore, you need to try it and assess your own results. 

Hmm.. The rage about protein shakes.  One day they are good, one day they are bad.  There are my thoughts for myself as I am trying to add lean muscle. Note by goal, gender, and age all influence this blog entry.  Female, 32, lean muscle with an allergy to gluten. 

1st: I look at labels and the key words I stray away from are: 
Artificially flavored
Dyes 
Sugar 
The best part to look at for me is what the allergen label says.

2nd: If you aren't willing to eat lean sources of protein don't waste your time with a protein shake.  One shake a day isn't going to do it all for you.  You have to eat a well balanced diet in order to see real long lasting results.

3rd: I do take my shake within 30 minutes of lifting.  That is because my muscles are properly being replenished and I will over eat at night time. This is what I applied from reading the book called "Nutrient Timing."  

4th: I keep my carbs low, because I want to add lean muscle.  If I do add carbs to this it is by adding blueberries.  That depends on how much cardio I did.  The more cardio, the more carbs. 

5th: Vegan is the way I am going NOW.  It is economical, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, and NON-GMO. It tastes terrible,  just being honest.  I have tried some other ones  and I break out in this awful side effect on my back. I do not want to take this icky mediation that the doctor recommended.  I went to a naturalist and decided to go Vegan.  Except, I went with the NOW brand.  We have 2 little ones, so it is easier on the budget.  

This has been one change I have made and on December 22nd I will see how I felt energy wise post workout trying the Vegan Protein.  I played around a  little with it this summer, but NOW I am dedicated to making a consistent commitment to it. 

What are your thoughts on a post workout protein shake?   

No comments:

Post a Comment