Monday, March 26, 2012

My Introduction to CrossFit Amplify


Two years ago was the first time I had heard about CrossFit and that was during my summer course through the Cooper’s Fitness Institute, by two Chicago police officers. They were discussing their Workout of the Day abbreviated as “WOD,” and it sparked my interest. I spent a little time looking at the CrossFit website http://www.crossfit.com
and then time passed. At this point in my life I was really into running. For the past five years you could say I have been I spent devoted to running. I have tried numerous things to get that last bit off just to run a 6:58 mile or to qualify for Boston. Two very extreme ends. Speed verses endurance. I am happy to have come from a 10 minute mile to an 8:30 for a half marathon and from an 8:30 to a 7:03 for a 5K. Yet, my personality leaves me for always wanting to improve.

I like challenges, intense workouts, extreme things, and I am VERY analytical. So it seems very fitting that I would be drawn to CrossFit. The only thing is, is that it is new to me, so where do I start???

I have been talking with a close friend and he guided us the right direction. Randy and Piper went through a WOD in his garage. Shortly after that we began transforming our garage. See where this is going? I like to read to further my knowledge and it helps me to rationalize my thoughts before pursuing something new. Piper let me borrow the “Paleo Diet for Athletes,” and I have been reading the CrossFit Journal on their website. What really got me was the CrossFit Games. I was amazed to see how women were portrayed in this sport. They were strong, athletic, and they won events based on their physical ability, which was clearly due to some strong mental fortitude! This was it!!! New Year’s Day we sat and watched the games and I told myself this is my year to really get into something new. No, I will not end up on the t.v., I just want to set some new goals and really push my self to do some new movements. These challenges is what keeps me excited about working out.

Piper told us about CrossFit Amplify, in Lisle on a Saturday evening. I spent Sunday and Monday morning browsing their website. You can too by visiting

Sure enough by Monday afternoon I had set up for Randy, Casey, and me to try a class out. I was very nervous, because the WOD’s I have seen can be very intimidating and require you to be well versed in all aspects of fitness. Mike one of the owners and a trainer there seemed very nice in our emails and was very helpful in answering my questions before we came. This was a very good first impression of their “Box.” That is what CrossFitters call the gym.

That evening as we pulled up I had mixed emotions. What if I could not do this...would I be excited to take it on or would I feel depressed? After Mike took us through an awesome dynamic stretch we were gearing up for 4 rounds of 200 meter sprints and 20 kettlebell swings, with a 2 minute rest. Mike carefully instructed us through the kettlebell swing and even “spotlighted,” us. That is where he watches one person at a time perform the movement. I am not one who right way likes to be observed doing an exercise. But having Randy and Casey with made it easier. Along with that Mike was very positive with his technique corrections and made us feel comfortable. I have done kettlebell swings before, but being told about the full range of motion at the top, made my core get a fabulous workout! Randy had the opportunity to use the rowing machine instead of sprints. This was an awesome modification for his achilles. Randy's achilles has been acting up just due to his increase in mileage and speed these past few weeks. We were done with technique and on our way to the rounds. After the second round I felt right at home with how I was feeling. It just felt different working out with people around. I just stopped caring for the traditional gym atmosphere, but I have missed working out with others. This atmosphere at Amplify seemed like people there just came to work and encourage each other. I liked reading the definition of “Amplify” on their wall:

1. To add to or expand, in volume or significance; make complete.
2. To make greater or more powerful; increase.

At the end of the 5 rounds (our group could not stop at 4, we wanted more, because it was just that much fun!) we went inside and discussed more about what CrossFit Amplified believes in for training and progressions. Mike offered a lot of progressions and examples of what he could scale for people who are new to CrossFit or new to this kind of workout. The gymnastics rings are much harder than what Annie Sakamoto looks like in her photo I have in our workout room. Anyhow, Mike added a resistance band to rings to help with full range of motion. This helped a lot and made me realize that I could pursue this.

What I learned by this visit was that anything in CrossFit any movement is scaleable. That means that the exercise can be modified so that one can perform the movement to their best ability and is safe. Mike shared with us some scaling for handstand push ups. This was very encouraging, because I think that is an awesome movement! I think people believe that CrossFit is only for the already fit and strong, but when in reality anyone can do a “WOD,” when they actually work with a trainer to learn how to scale for their individual needs. I just need to think in small steps and be patient with myself. I am sure there are times when I am going to feel like I can’t do something, but I will persevere. I did it with running and now I am ready to make a commitment to CrossFit for the next year. I do suggest visiting both websites which I have found to be very useful and very up to date with new postings each day. Of course I am doing this, because I think this could be the answer to getting my mile time to a 6:58 for a 5K...

So, there you have it the first day at a “Box,” and where I am headed. I think it helps to have support of others, research, identify the why, and share your plan, along with progress.

My goal is 1- Handstand push up, 2- work on the that kipping, 3- to have fun!!!!
Happy Spring!!!

48 comments:

  1. Go kima! You are fierce!
    No one person that I could think of that would be better to try this! Exctied to hear what you discover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice video! :)
    I liked it and you looked very fit and strong! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very intresting.
    i had no idea what crossfit was. I think i will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this crossfit things sounds really cool i just spent like 20 minutes on there website

    i found a website you may like it's called Reddit/fitness and is part of a website dedicated to many subjects here is the link fitness

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crossfit sounds and looks very interesting but, why did you stop after a fifth round? You could have easily made it to a tenth round!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the fact that you picked up a new work out from someone. I always learn new workouts from new people in order to spice up my workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog post relates to me in the challenging area! I love to be challnged as well & i always take interest in things (workouts, puzzles, etc) that bring forth a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this blog because your challenging yourself which makes me want to work harder and your showing that girls can work just as hard as guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crossfit sounds interesting. It seems a lot different from a traditional gym.:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! i really enjoy how you were very determined to improve your mile time by nearly 1 min and 30 sec. I am also trying to improve my mile time by at least 30 sec. With some inspiration from your blog i have able to improve my time by 18 sec., but i am still striving for a better time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed the video because it shows control and strength. Those two components to me are the hardest to master and it seems like you have. Nice video!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed reading your adventure and I'm very happy for you that you enjoyed your workout. You're motivating me a bit to try to find my own workout and group of friends that would make the excecising more fun and less scary. You showed me that as long as you have your friends anything is possible and no matter what the obstacle it can be overcome with determination! And the video was very nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i want to thank you for posting stuff like this up because it helps me improve my own workout routine so that i can eventuall perfect it and be in the best shape of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks pretty cool and I would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow just wow..4 rounds of 200 meter sprints!?!? I can't even do that!! It's very interesting to find that there are people out there that can do things that may seem challenging to us but a normal work out for them ...makes you wonder..if you work at you can become anything you want (maybe not everything but you know)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an interesting read! It's great to read about someone who is so confident and someone who has so much fun while they work out. The crossfit sounds great and seems different. This inspires me to change how i work out too

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! This video is Great. Your Workouts look very intense. I hope that my hardwork in my workouts can start too pay of so i can work as hard as you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! What a great blog. This CrossFit gym looks very cool and I would love to try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow cool stuff i'm going to have to try this crossfit stuff one day =D

    ReplyDelete
  20. This CrossFit gym seems intense and very challenging.
    I would want to try this CrossFit sometime soon to challenge myself.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! The crossfit workout seems pretty tough.. it would take a lot of hard work to do that.. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Trying something new can be a challenge in of itself, and CrossFit seems like a big enough challenge alone! It was really encouraging to read of your experience with CrossFit and to even set more goals for yourself for the next time around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. CrossFit looks awesome! Definitely something more challenging! In my opinion, the more challenging the workout, the more motivation I have to complete it. It was great to hear your interesting point of view about CrossFit! Very encouraging and motivating!

    ReplyDelete
  24. CrossFit looks pretty cool.You can never go wrong trying something new.I usually use a new workout as a motivation, it somewhat keeps me going. I also think its great that you feel more comfortable having a friend working out beside you. Although, what if you have a gym membership that no one else has? Do you tend to get better results with a workout partner?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, this is really cool! I've never heard of CrossFit before so this was pretty interesting

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is so encouraging to see something like this. Seeing a woman trying such an aggressive workout. I have seen this kind of thing on television. It is very inspiring. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would like to start of by congratulating you on your dedication to strive for more. It truely is admirable. You are an exceptional runner but wise people know there is always room for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Spaulding's actions in the video have inspired me to believe i can achieve anything i set my mind to .
      TYLER HEARD

      Delete
  28. I think I would definitely be interested in trying CrossFit it looks kind of fun

    ReplyDelete
  29. I found this blog to be very interesting because you are sharing with others what your challenges were and how you overcame them. I feel like this relates to everyone in a different way because everyone have worries and challenge when it comes to exercising and being fit. This blog also shows how someone can fall in love and have fun doing something that they thought wouldn't be in their comfort zone. I overall like how you are challenging yourself which is very motivational because it makes me want to go out and try harder and put in more effort when I work out.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have heard about CrossFit before, but have never tried it. I think it sounds like a lot of fun, especially the way you're describing it. I love how committed you are, not only to your workouts, but more importantly making sure you enjoy them. Good luck with your goals. What an amazing feeling you will have once they are accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kima,

    I have a lot of passions in life other than working out. When you post your fitness blogs I like to take the readiness/willingness and perseverance you put into working out and apply it to all parts of my lifestyle. I really enjoy reading your blogs because they psyche me up. Thanks.

    Renee Ayeh

    ReplyDelete
  32. I had never heard of CrossFit before reading this blog but, after reading how much you enjoyed your first experience as well as seeing the workouts and comments posted by enthusiastic CrossFit athletes, I would really like to attempt a few of these workouts myself. I would like to thank you for posting all of these great blogs, and good luck with achieving all of your future goals. For me, it is very inspirational to see someone as dedicated as yourself following your own aspirations. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  33. i hope i can begin to have the drive and inspiraion to stay healthy as i get older and my schedule becomes more packed just as you are able to whith your career and family =)
    -Kendra W.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have never seen what cross fit really was until this blog and from watching different videos mr spaulding shows us. It seems really intense anda really good overall workout. Its something that i definitely wouldnt want to try, but you seem really ambitious in trying different things to improve your health.

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's really interesting learning about all the different types of workouts there is out there especially considering the fact that workouts can get boring after awhile

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've never heard of CrossFit before. But by going on the website, it seems like a very interesting website. It does, however, seem like too much of an intense workout for my liking. But I hope that this workout plan is helping out!


    Hassan Issa

    ReplyDelete
  37. When i read your blogs it makes me think about all the other things i am passionate in. not only fitness related but EVERYTHING. Whenever i read one i try to improve myself on anything that i do and love to do and to put forth the same effort and dedication into my passions as you do for fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  38. CrossFit is a very intense workout. My dad was actually telling me about it not too long ago. Since my dad is a workout junky he actually LOVES it. One day, maybe not too soon, I too will be trying this workout to improve my health.

    Paris Skinner

    ReplyDelete
  39. Cross fit is a very challenging workout. However, it seems like a workout that would be in shape quicker and my health up to part. I will,too, try to do this exercise.

    --- Sansha Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  40. AWESOME video &nd great blog ! Seems like CrossFit is the place to be if you want an intense workout . Bally or LA Fitness don't have nothing on CrossFit :D

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hmm after reading what Cross fit was, it kinda gets me motivated to not just try something different in my workout but to also challenge myself. A while back I started doing full time with my wellness class and I try to find different workouts I could do and something like this I should try out hoping I don't over do it. Oh nice video by the way. d('-'v) <-- Thumbs up

    --Jomel Socorro

    ReplyDelete
  42. I never heard of CrossFit before, but this is the first time i saw it. I'm not sure if I'll be doing it because it is not my thing but trying different things is good right? I can tell right away that you have passion for this Ms. Kima. You are a strong woman and an energetic one and i can see that nothing can stop you when it comes to fitness. If you love/like something, you should go for it and do it! :D have a nice day!

    - Steven Reyes

    ReplyDelete
  43. I never heard of crossfit before, but i sound very interesting. After watching the videos it look like something I would like to try out. Because it look similar to the work out I used to do for proviso east football team. But i always look for new work out to try and the work out i saw look like i can do at the gym near my house.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I this blog really inspired me to try a new workout. I started the insanty workout and its pretty crazy. I even heard that you are doing the same work out.
    -Destiny Matthews

    ReplyDelete
  45. This my first time on the blog. It's very motivating seeing how some could just get up and workout ,being all you one could be even having doupts you didnt let that stops you

    ReplyDelete
  46. My primary motivation for working out has always been just to look better. After reading this blog, I realized I like the idea of not having to do it alone. I always get more encouraged to work out when there are people next to me and give me advice. By the end, it doesn't become something I feel like I have to do to look better, its something that can be fun because I'm doing it with others who are doing the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I believe that it helps and motivates when you have people supporting you

    ReplyDelete