Friday, December 27, 2013

Gluten- free individual apple pies


      As I am preparing my individual apple pies in the kitchen, my hubby walks in and asks, “Are you sure these are going to turn out?”  I answer very confidently with “Yes, I saw it on Facebook.”  He looks very reassured at this point.  In my head I am pondering I do not have a recipe I just the the picture so if it is a bust, at least I attempted.  Isn’t that true about so many aspects of life??  

So, here is what I did: 
1 tub of Gluten Free Pie and Pastry Dough from Pillsbury (My mom gave me this tub, she totally gets how I am about my food) 

2 Honeycrisp apples, washed and sliced with my Pampered Chef Apple Slicer 

1 tablespoon of Earth Balance Butter 

1 tablespoon cinnamon (I love cinnamon, it has super natural powers of fat burning I believe) 

1 1/2 teaspoon sugar (you could substitute with stevia, but I wanted my children to eat these) 

1st: Roll out the dough, which my review is incredible because it was not to crumbly and such a time saver than making it from scratch for gluten -free. 

2nd: After you slice the apples, roll one apple slice in a piece of dough.  Just enough to totally cover it. If you can still see the apple add a tad more.  Don’t you like how specific I am...ok maybe the dough was about a 1/2 inch thick around the apple.  Like a pie crust thickness. 

Place these on parchment paper as the oven is pre- heating to the 425 degrees, double check the container for the oven temperature. 

3rd: Melt the butter in the microwave in increments of 10 seconds, until melted. 
Add in the cinnamon and sugar and mix. 

4th: Cover each apple pie with the mixture, I used about a 1 teaspoon on each one. 

5th: Place in oven for 10 minutes, then check the softens of the apples.  If the apples aren’t soft yet add increments of 2 minutes, as not to burn the crust.  Cooking with gluten- free recipes the time can be very unpredictable. 

Let these cool off and enjoy a nice healthier version of an apple pie. 
My children ate them with a small serving of ice cream, all in moderation.  
My hubby was glad I didn’t set off the fire alarm. 

Pie crust link

Pray, train, eat, sleep 
Kima 


No comments:

Post a Comment